information skills training
Here you can find a list of all the training sessions we offer. If you are interested in any of the below, please contact the library
finding the evidence: searching NHS healthcare databases
If you need to find high quality journal articles for your studies, clinical practice or CPD we can train you to search the NHS healthcare databases such as PsycINFO, MEDLINE and CINAHL.
Whether you are a beginner who is less confident using a computer or someone with more experience looking to refresh your skills, training will be tailored to suit your needs.
A typical training session will ensure you develop the following skills:
- Select the most appropriate database for your search
- Formulate a search strategy
- Conduct searches using keywords and phrases
- Combine searches using Boolean operators i.e. AND/OR/NOT
- Limit results
- View abstracts
- Access full-text articles
- Print, save or export your result
- Save and retrieve a search strategy
- Create an alert
To request a training session please email the library or ring 01603 421236
If you are not able to arrange training with one of our Librarians, you can access a series of short video tutorials via YouTube, which were produced by NICE to support the use of the databases.